Yesterday, I initiated a conversation with the girls about Christmas, during which I reiterated the true meaning of Christmas, and even went so far as to tell Estella about the real Saint Nicholas (what little I really do know about him), and how he wanted to serve Jesus by helping others, etc., and how that's where the story of Santa, or "St. Nick" began. As the direction I was taking began to dawn on her, I could see unwillingness take over in her eyes. When I was mostly through, she said, "So....so, is Saint Nicholas in heaven?" I proceeded cautiously to tell her that however it works, most likely he was. "Well," she said, "I don't want him to be in heaven, I want him to bring me presents!" She began laughing hysterically/maniacally at herself at this point, and proceeded to ask more questions, such as "Is he still alive? Where does he really live?" I tried to delicately suggest things that would enable her to come to realistic conclusions, such as "Well, honey, do you think someone could live for hundreds of years and still keep bringing presents?"
Long story short, her ultimate conclusion was that Saint Nicholas got married and had a son and named him Santa Claus, and he got married and had a son and named him Santa, etc., etc., and so on. I did my best. She very cleverly did not ask me where "Santa's" presents have come from all these years.
I think I can say I did my best. What can I say? The child likes to dream...
We went to Andy and Hadassah's this past Friday to "help" them put up their Christmas tree. We got to visit with Jessica while we were there, since she was visiting with them, which was really nice.
3 comments:
well I am pleased that you braved the treacherous waters and tried.
she is a determined little dear, aint she?
The naivety of home schooled children. You gotta love it. :)
Firsts of all, that is a great picture by the fire!
Second, if you get the chance, go to Heather's site http://alittlered.wordpress.com/ and read her post "Why I believe..."
Can't wait to see you guys next week!
Post a Comment